This is a beautiful silver-coated plaque combined with a deep, rich wood backing, depicting the image of Rafael’s Angels.
They appear at the foot of the Blessed Virgin Mary, in the famous portrait of the Sistine Madonna, also called the Madonna di San Sisto.
It is an oil painting by the Italian artist Raphael Sanzio. The painting was commissioned in 1512 by Pope Julius II for the church of San Sisto, Piacenza. The canvas was one of the last Madonnas painted by Raphael. Giorgio Vasari called it “a truly rare and extraordinary work”.
The painting was moved to Dresden from 1754 and is well-known for its influence in the German and Russian art scene. After World War II, it was relocated to Moscow for a decade before being returned to Germany.
Approximately 10cm x 6cm.